Saturday, June 19, 2010

Robotic duck in Walden Pond...

Pretty creative title, right? Haha...this describes me this morning. Lemme first explain where the robotic duck came from. I had personal training on Wednesday and my trainer had me doing some crazy hamstring stuff. At the time it didn't feel too bad, but, to give you a visual of what I looked like walking around work the past two days, just picture a robotic duck...waddling around with straight knees and an amazing inability to walk without shaking my ass in a completely un-sexy way. Haha. So anyway, I opted out of the social training ride last night, as I came home from work and layed down...and couldn't really get up. I ended up rolling over, taking tylenol and sleeping. This morning I was able to get up and go to Walden Pond to do an open water swim. It was warm enough to not need a wetsuit, which was a plus seeing as I don't yet have a wetsuit. The swim was amazing...it felt so nice to be swimming with the early morning sun beating down on me. It was also really cool because the pond was full of triathletes....no one else is crazy enough to get up early on a Saturday to go swim in a pond when they don't have to. Haha. You feel alot of comradery when you swim in a quiet lake with a bunch of other triathletes...even if you don't talk to them, you can just feel the support of everyone, it's really nice. I met this guy who was swimming the same distance of me, so we kind of became swimming buddies..I used his red shorts as my sighting point part of the time haha...it was easier than looking all the way up, and he was sighting alot so I used him as my point of reference....until I passed him. Then I had to start sighting for myself. Damn. Haha...we did a triangle in the pond, so when we got to the first corner we stopped and treaded for a minute and chatted about which cove we were supposed to be swimming to next. We decided on where we were going then we took off. This was where I passed him and got pretty far ahead. I wanted to wait for him, but I also wanted to get a good workout...so the selfish triathlete inside of me came out and I swam to the second point by myself. I turned to check on him and he was fine (which I knew he would be, he was a strong swimmer) and then I planned on treading and waiting for him to get to the second point....but then I felt something hit my leg. I looked down and there was a whole school of fish swimming around my body. They weren't big, but it freaked me out. I'm used to swimming in chlorine, where the biggest thing floating in the pool (hopefully! Eeek) is a band-aid! Haha...so anyway, I freaked out and swam away as fast as I could. There I was again being a jerk and not waiting for my swimming buddy. It turned out fine though, we both made it back and it was ok. Anyway, it was an awesome swim, and it's so cool to say that I train in Thoreau's Walden Pond. People say things like "from that book?" or "Who is Thoreau? (That one really kills me!) or "Whoa! Is his house still there? He was famous...you are so lucky!" Haha...it's pretty funny when people say that because it's open to the public..they could go too...anyway, I'm rambling. Time for some food and homework. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment