Monday, December 7, 2009

Cannoli, spray on faces and the bathroom in Saks

It's been awhile...sorry! I haven't been able to write because my mom was up visiting this weekend and we were too busy having fun! She took the train up on Friday so I went to pick her up from the train station and then we went back to my school so she could see my classroom and meet some people. So Friday night we decided to go into the North End for dinner, and the bf was going to treat us...he's so sweet :) We called this place that I knew of called Antico Forno, and they said they didnt have any reservations until 8. We decided we would just go with the names of a few places and pick whichever one had the shortest wait. Turned out that when we got there, they had a seat available and they sat us right away. Score! We had amazing food, and afterwards we went to Modern Pastry for cannoli! We ended up buying 8 small ones and 3 big ones, so we had some left over for the next day....which was obviously sweet!

On Saturday we decided to go into the Pru and walk around since it was snowing. We went into Sephora and were looking around and we saw that they were doing free airbrushing to try to market this airbrushing machine. This is the time when I was happy that I hardly ever wear makeup, because I decided what the hell, I may as well get my face sprayed! I figured she would spray a little foundation on and I would go about my way. Boy, was I wrong! I sat down and she began "examining" my face. She looked a picked a "pod" (this is what the makeup containers are called), and then she connected it to a mini air compressor. Think power washer but on a teeny scale. She started spraying my face, and kept spraying and spraying and spraying. I figured it would take a minute or two, but it took several minutes in reality. What is the point of spraying on makeup if it is going to take just as long as putting it on with a brush? Anyway, then she sprayed on "highlighter" and blush. At this point I am pretty amazed and thinking I must look amazing. Then she says "ok, close your mouth so I can do your lips." I was baffled, but I closed my mouth and she sprayed my lips. The air pressure forced my lips apart at times and I think I swallowed my fair share of spray on makeup. When I was finally done and looked in the mirror I thought I looked great! I had a huge zit on my face and it was completely gone, my dark circles were nowhere to be seen, and even my freckles had disappeared (this part I didn't like so much). Anyway, we left the store and decided to go to the "ladies lounge" in Saks Fifth Avenue to go to the bathroom and freshen up before dinner. My face felt funny, kind of stiff and rubbery, like I couldn't move my muscles. I was wondering if I was feeling a bit of what it feels like to get Botox. By the time I got to the bathroom in Saks, my face was itchy and felt hot. We freshened up, and i decided I looked way too weird, like a plastic doll or something. It does not look natural to have absolutely no pores, freckles or imperfections. My mom touched my face and immediately pulled her hand back. "eww!" She said "you feel like a corpse!" Wow...thanks mom. Haha. She was right though! My face felt rubbery, stiff, and unnatural. It really felt the way a dead person's face feels, except warm. (Yes, I have touched the face of a dead person in a casket....and no, I don't think it's weird!) We ended up having an awesome dinner at Legal Seafoods, and I washed my face twice when I got home. It was still red, itchy and hot the next morning. I think I may have been allergic to the spray on corpse makeup. Darn.

Sunday we saw the Urban Nutcracker. It was my second time, and it was amazing. I really love seeing the ballet mixed with Jazz, doo wop, tap, and lots of other types of dance and music. It was so fun to spend all that quality time with my mom. Not every girl would want her mom to come stay with her, sleep in her bed, and spend three straight days with her, but I do, and I wish she could have stayed longer. I feel bad for girls who say they don't have a close relationship with their mom. I think my relationship with my mom is the one I value most, because she is a woman, because we have a special bond, and because, along with my amazing dad, she made me who I am, and for that, I love her. This post is for you ma, Happy 60th Birthday! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. great post Harps! u made me laugh out loud during the spray makeup part...i could just picture ur expression! and how i would feel if I got it done to me. It does seem really creepy, way to take one for the team!
    wish ur mom a happy birthday for me!

    ReplyDelete