Wednesday, December 2, 2009

'tis the season...for Word Girl?

So there is this show, I'm not sure if it exists anywhere other than Massachusetts, but it is called Word Girl, and it is supposed to be a show that expands the vocabulary of 5-8 year olds. The production company for the show is near where I live, and the crew decided they wanted to do a focus group of 6 and 7 year olds to see how they could improve the show. They chose my school. So today, after a month of trying to track down permission slips and hearing "Word Girl rocks" "Word Girl is for girls" etc, they came in. The kids had to watch an episode and then answer some interview questions. Tough life these first graders have, right? So anyway, this one little boy in my class was being interviewed, and was asked whether he had siblings at home. He said "yes, I have a sister in 5th...." then he stopped and looked at me, I looked at him with a confused look, and he said "...I mean, 3rd grade." I didn't look back again, but continued to listen, and he said "and I have a brother in Kindergarten." Sounds like a perfectly acceptable answer, right? Wrong...this little boy has one brother who is 2 years old. Sometimes I wonder what makes them want to lie? Was he afraid he would be the only one without a sibling? Did he want to be cool by saying he had two siblings? He has been known to lie about his family before, like when he wrote that he likes to go home and watch his dad to funny stuff. This would be fine, except that his birth dad is not in the picture whatsoever. 6 year olds puzzle me.

oh...the vocabulary words that were supposed to be learned in this episode? Version and recollect. One little boy thought the words were recollect and virgin. How do we explain that one?

I need a nap.

1 comment: