Tuesday, December 1, 2009

millions of dollars in budget cuts...but we can afford Ning. WTF?

Ok...so the good news of the day is that I am healthy and relatively happy (although exhausted!). The bad news of the day is that we had a staff meeting today and it lookes like 21 teachers from our district will be cut next year, meaning 3 from my school, meaning I am NEVER GOING TO GET A TEACHING JOB!

I am enjoying teaching right now (covering a maternity leave, for those of you who don't know) soooo much that I am so sad about how fast it is going. I don't want it to end, although I do miss working with the teacher who left, and I will be happy to have her back, it is going to be much harder than I expected to go back to being an assistant. :( I have until the end of February, which sounds like a while, but in reality it has been going really fast.

I should probably explain the title of this post at this point. I cant remember if yesterday I mentioned "ning". Ning is a networking site for professionals, which is set up almost exactly like facebook. So basically it is like having facebook and having your boss watch everything you do......very 1984. Big brother is watching! Anyway, at our professional day yesterday we were introduced to Ning, and now we are supposed to accept the invitation we got to join it. I don't want to join it! Not to mention, we are cutting teachers, but it is now someone's full time job to "manage" Ning....AKA accept friends, update things, etc. I wish my job could be to sit on facebook all day and stalk my employees. Must be nice.

The other thing I wanted to mention tonight is that my friend and I are working our way through the Time Magazine 100 best English novels from 1923-now list. By working through I mean we are on the first one! The first book on the list is The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow. All I can say about it is boooooo. It is not a good book, I am not enjoying it, and I cannot wait to be done with it! I am going to try to post about the books I am reading, hopefully it wont be too boring!

1 comment:

  1. holy cow that is CREEPY about ning, very 1984 i agree. and that REALLY sucks about all those teaching position getting cut! I cant imagine how frustrated u must be. esp. cuz uve known for so long what u want to do and did everything u possibly could. what a really sucky time for us to be job searching! Guess we will have some good stories for our grand kids. I'm pretty sure after I get my CE this year, I wont get a teaching job in middle school science (or any job whatsoever in my field either). I will prob. end up going to grad school to get more of an edge. aeeeee!

    keep on writing, i want more!

    ReplyDelete